Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gumbo Lessons


Soon after getting home from running errands today, my very cool neighbor "Miss Kayla" called me and said "I'm making Gumbo." "Come on over if you want to learn how!"

(First you make a roux and add onions, garlic and beef broth)

Well, Kayla is SUCH a great cook, and Certified Cajun all the way. I LOVE her gumbo, so I grabbed my camera (must document) and my kids and we headed next door.


(Then you add the smoked sausage and seasoned chicken (still on the bone) and let it boil till the chicken is done.)

This is a recipe that has been in her family for a long time. I'm sure she has a million with the same "M.O.". Cooking and recipes are definitely something that you pass on to your children in these parts. I don't think you can get married without taking a "cooking test" first.


Now it starts to get nice and brown and the aroma is just wonderful. Add a little Louisiana rice and voila!

After we were done and the chicken had to cook a bit more, I left to go home to make my dinner.
Miss Kayla brought me a big bowl and my "sweetie pie" little girl couldn't get enough. The dinner I cooked didn't have nearly enough flavor for my 5 year old. She has always been a little crazy about food. She liked GRAPE NUTS when she was two and now loves chips and salsa, and begs for Grapefruit! Go figure???


And...yesterday it was 71 and we had the A/C on all day. Today it was 49 so we lit the fire. Tomorrow we are expecting snow...in Lafayette LA! I hate to think what you guys farther north are in for... Get out the salt.

7 comments:

j said...

A VERY cool neighbor to teach you to make Gumbo! It really looked yummy.

No hopes of snow here EVER - at least I don't think. I do wonder how our neighbors up north make it every Winter. I just don't think I would function well.

Be blessed!

Jen

Harmony said...

I need an awesome neighbor to teach me to cook. I think my family is sick spaghetti! :)

Scarlet said...

"Get out the salt!" Great idea...where's my Margarita mix?? ;)

It's almost lunchtime in Miami and all I want to eat is GUMBO now. It looks DELICIOUS!! I must make this for my family...including my parents. Thanks for sharing the recipe (with pics and all!)

Great post, Bin!!

Smooth Sailing said...

Jennifer... My little girl said she was missing snow (in Utah) and wanted to move back! Well, I made her go out it in today and she quickly changed her mind. THIS is VERY rare for us here! You are at about the same LAT..so beware. :)

Harmony, Excuse me but my fav cook in the world is someone called.. YOUR MOM! I'm a great baker, but not a great cook.

Scarlet, It was easy. I'll send you her recipe!

Marla said...

I have never made gumbo, but it sure looks good to me!

Nadine said...

What a nice neighbor. It looks very wonderful...I could almost smell the goodness.

It's been warm here in Texas 75 but promises to get colder again tonight. This weather is so weird.

Nadine said...

When you get a chance come on by for my book giveaway.