Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Best Attempt...

At being a photographer....

My niece Harmony posted some new family photos on her blog. The pictures were amazing. The photographer (her neighbor) is so inspiring. Her style is so fresh. She really captures the true moment with her work. You can see some of her work at

http://artphotographs.blogspot.com/

So after looking at EVERY photo on her site, I became inspired again. Especially since some of her photos were taken with a "point and shoot" camera. My sister says that Photoshop is the new "darkroom". Hopefully I will have more time to learn how to add such great color and effects. The above photo was taken off the Oceanside California Pier.

Sometimes though...we capture pictures that just naturally turn out surprisingly well. The light just happens to be right and everything works. (Haulover Cut..North Miami, FL)

I decided to be brave and post some of my favorite pictures. Non-Photoshop...just regular dumb luck! Most of these were taken with a 1 MP camera! (Jupiter Island Beach, FL)

This one of the Hotel del Coronado, in San Diego really surprised me. I was really hoping that the moon would show up on this beautiful night! This hotel is so full of history. It was even the location for Marilyn Monroe's film "Some Like It Hot". http://www.hoteldel.com/about/history.cfm  should you want to plan a vacation.

This is a picture my husband took of the Star of India also in San Diego. She was built in 1863 and is the oldest ship that still sails regularly, and the oldest iron hulled merchant ship still floating. The day he took this picture, she had a lot of sail up, even though she was tied to the dock. Here is a link to a full picture of her if you are interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Starofindia.jpg

Another picture of Oceanside Pier. We used to take long walks along the sand at dusk until the sand was too cold for our feet. My little "sweetie pie" would even watch for the 'green flash'!

Back to Florida... this is Boca Chita Key out in Biscayne Bay (Miami). You can only get there by boat. This is not a real lighthouse, but you can go up inside when the park rangers are there.

As the former owner was preparing the island for his own private use his wife was fatally injured... on the island. She later passed away and he found the memories too deep to continue to work on developing the property. Rumor is that she fell down the steps inside the lighthouse... spooky! http://www.key-biscayne.com/kb/keys/bocachita/

And lastly, another peaceful picture of Oceanside, California. Not very often do you have this much beach to yourself, especially in California! I just love the way the kids are just exploring life. So simple. I wish I could freeze time...

Now it's your turn to post your favorite pictures!

9 comments:

Deech said...

These pictures are stunning! See, I wish I had an eye for this type of art. I can appreciate it but for some reason, I can't participate...My pictures never really turn out so good...

Every once in a blue moon, I will get an awesome shot.

Smooth Sailing said...

Hello flying fox. How did you find my blog? Just curious.

I think the pictures have more to do with God's beautiful world than with my steady hand!

Marla said...

Love your photos, they are great! I just never take pictures, I just need to start doing that along with the other 150 things that I need to start doing!

Smooth Sailing said...

Hi Marla..Just put your camera in your purse. Scarlet and I "document life". Doesn't matter what the picture looks like. And now you don't even have to develop them all. Just put them on your computer. Preferably on a separate hard drive. That way you can take it an run in an emergency...or a hurricane in my neck of the woods. Loved your post about Dick!

Janell said...

Wow! You really drew me in with your photos! Well done! Being landlocked as I am, I appreciate ocean pics. I feel like I was traveling with you.

PS - I home-schooled my two kids also. They graduated from my school in '00 and '02. They are both in college now - one will finish in May. Keep up the good work!

Scarlet said...

These photos are fantastic! I love the one of your Little Man jumping in the water and both of the kids' pics where they're together.

You know how I love pictures, and once again, you've inspired me to take better shots. I would love to take a Photography class with you! Move back to Miami and we'll do it!! :)

Smooth Sailing said...

Janell, Thanks for stopping by. Glad you liked them. Can I ask you home schooling questions from time to time???


Scarlet...Let's do it!

Harmony said...

Is it possible to say, "I miss the beach." When technically I've never lived by a beach? I miss it all the same. Maybe one day we'll live closer :)

You do take great pictures by the way. Wouldn't it be nice to have a super expensive camera so you wouldn't have to hope for "dumb luck"!

Brooke said...

Wonderful shots! I love photography...I thinking about starting another blog, just with shots from my portfolio. Thanks for sharing!!!