Saturday, October 11, 2008

Geoux Louisiana


We'll another post about Louisiana just has to be written. Too many interesting things here, at least to me. I get joy from the simplest things. Hmmm, is that a sign of a simple mind?

The banner above is from a little town called Golden Meadow WAY down south where the land is disappearing. Fishing Rodeo's here are a big deal!

These small towns take you back to the good ol' days where honesty was just expected and not a joyous suprise. The wooden "box" was just held together with a couple of bolts, to keep the wind out. No Lock!
On my last trip I stopped at a little Satsuma stand (similar to Cementine oranges) and bought a bag. I noticed this sign and just had to capture it. How simple things used to be. The owner, which I chatted with for 30 minutes, was a boat captain for 35 years and "now does oranges". I wonder how many permits he had to have to put this stand on his property? NOT! Oh yea, we are not in California anymore....
.
This is a grave yard in the same area. Not too much dirt here, so you have to be buried ON TOP of the soil! We have a LOT of Catholics here as you can see.

And my prize winning picture of the day was this wonderful Chicken Car! Looks like the chicken made it through hurricanes Ike and Gustav. Most of this area was under water and without power for quite sometime. Notice the plywood on the windows in the background.

GEAUX LOUISIANA! Remember we are French Cajun down here.

10 comments:

Scarlet said...

Great pics of Louisiana, Bin! Love 'em!

Can you imagine a unlocked wooden money box here in Miami? They'd steal the $$$ and the box! lol

The chicken car is hilarious. I would so flirt with the driver if I sat across from him in traffic. :)

Greg C said...

Tell me that isn't the car you drive. I like it but just to look at. I also liked the photo over at Scarlet's blog.

Deech said...

I am here visiting at Scarlet's recommendation. Good Blog. I have it listed as a favorite.

Brooke said...

HI!
Just wanted to stop by and say Hello. I started blogging last month and I've met some real nice people. Your page looks beautiful!

Blessings,
Mayra

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm here via Scarlet's blog.
I live just north of Louisiana in Arkansas.
Looks like you had a good time in Louisiana.
LOVE that fancy car!!

:-)

Welcome to Blogland!

Russell and Joanne said...

Great blog C. We enjoy staying caught up on your adventures. My blog is http://keylargoliving.blogspot.com/ I need to get with the program and blog more!

Gill said...

Ooh, great shots of Loosana. LOL!!
What an amazing chicken car! I'm here via Scarlet, to welcome you to Bloglandia!!!
My kids will love the chicken car photo...they have lots of chicken jokes.
For instance, at suppertime, if I serve chicken, they say "Mom, what time is it? Chicken O'Cluck!!!"
xoxo

Nadine said...

Hi. I'm a blog friend of Scarlet. She said you just started blogging and I remember you from the photo Scarlet posted about the butts - funny.

The chicken car is too fun. I hope you enjoy blogging. You're off to a great start.

Smooth Sailing said...

Thanks to everyone that came over via Scarlet! Your comments are so nice!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

hello dear!
you are going to have lots of fun here, oh yes! and you will find kindred spirits for sure, too ;-)
Welcome!