Saturday, April 11, 2009

Late-night Nature Walks


Guess we did it to ourselves. We fostered the love of reptiles at an early age.
The above picture is "Sweetie Pie" on the Alan's Cay, Bahamas.


"Little Man" in South Florida... at one of those tourist places.
He REALLY wanted to hug that alligator!

This was taken on a "nature walk" at Shark River State Park in the Everglades.
What a GREAT gator. Check out that tail!

Yes, here in Louisiana you really don't need pet stores. All that is required is to walk out your front door and be observant. As you can see, my kids, who are "addicted" to reptiles and "other" things and have mastered the art of listening and fast reflexes!

This dragonfly seemed to want to stay around for a while...

Wait, did I just say "mastered the art of listening"??? Don't get too excited. That skill stops as soon as they enter our house


Below is a little baby Green Anole lizard. They look just like the Geiko lizard, movements and all. I couldn't find my pictures of them when they are brilliant green. Sorry.



We have small toads and very interesting spiders.



.Sweetie Pie, above...Miss "NON-PRINCESS" loves her frogs and lizards. She said to me the other day... "Mom, do you know what I love more than lizards? Jesus!"


Little Man caught this one the other day. He is so beautiful!


This is the American Bullfrog. It is one of the largest frogs.


This one isn't even that big! We caught a bigger one last year. People eat a lot of frog legs (delicious by the way) around here and I guess you can see why!


One of the benefits of home schooling is that we can take late-night nature walks because we don't have to worry about catching the bus at 7AM!


Well, hope you enjoyed a little Southeastern US nature show.

Happy Easter!

6 comments:

Stacy said...

OH WOW! That alligator's tail is huge! And where in the heck did y'all find those huge frogs? Madi would be in heaven.

Scarlet said...

¡Ay DiĆ³s Mio! I'm a little queasy after that reptile show...but I must say, the bright froggy with the blue eyes is kinda cute (from here!).

Great photos, Bin! I love how you're able to take those late-night walks while I'm catching zzz's.

PS - I'll be calling you tomorrow, 7am my time! ;)

Harmony said...

The Little Guy loved all those pictures. He's totally jealous that your little man got to hold an alligator. Go figure. With Alligators that big jaywalking they should post Gator Crossing signs! I'm guessing it would do more damage than a skunk!

LZ Blogger said...

WOW! Some budding naturalists here! Pretty impressive! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Props to the kids for being able to hold those frogs!