Thursday, October 9, 2008

Back to Work


He's gone, but only for 28 days.  It's not easy though.  My husband "D" is a 165' supply ship captain down in the oil fields of Louisiana.  He supplies all the oil rigs with food, water, supplies, equipment and maybe even a ride back to land if they need it.

Due to hurricanes Gustav and Ike "D" has not been back to work since August 27th!

As I laid in bed next to him, the night before his departure, I felt the usual anxious feeling of knowing he would be gone for such an extended period of time.  My thoughts always go out to the wives/husbands of all our wonderful soldiers and I wonder what it must be like the night before their deployment.  Only, they have no idea when their husband's will be coming back...or if.   Remember them in your prayers!

When morning arrives we wake the kids early (we only have one car) and get ready to go.  I'm always amazed at my kids ability to be so happy in the morning, no matter how little sleep they they have had the night before.  It's usually non-stop chatter!

We load in the burb (Suburban) and start the 2 1/2 hour drive south to the "office".  We live in Suburbia Lafayette Louisiana.  When you drive any further south, things get VERY interesting and fun.  Louisiana is full of life and a lot of characters!  Homemade signs are everywhere advertising LIVE CRAB, ALLIGATOR MEAT, FROG LEGS, CRAWFISH or even homemade GUMBO.  We always have fun taking interesting pictures on our trips.
In 1755, almost 1000 French settlers were expelled from the Acadia (Nova Scotia)  area of Canada because they refused to take an oath of allegiance to the British.  They came to Louisiana and the Acadians/Cajuns were some of the first settlers here.  They must have been a very strong people..to put up with the alligators, bugs and heat.  Most of their family names can still be heard here.  Their descendants are still thriving!

If you have never been...plan a trip and enjoy some GREAT food and extremely WARM people.  But watch out as they might just invite you over for dinner!

4 comments:

Harmony said...

I'm so glad your blogging! The best part is that you can get it printed into a book and you automatically have a family journal! There's a website called blurb.com that will turn your blog into book for you. I plan on doing it...sometime :)

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

Smooth Sailing said...

Thanks Harmony,

I'm going to tell my other blogger friend about it!

Scarlet said...

Bin, you're in! I'm so happy to see you blogging because I know you're always off on one adventure or another, and I'd love to read about every one of them!

I think your hubby has one of the most interesting jobs (scary, too), so I'll be happy to read more about his time at sea.

As for your kiddies, I've always seen them happy and smiling. The photo of them in front of the sign is adorable. The sign is awesome, too! (Where else but in the South would you find something like that??)

I love the way you've described the people to me, especially when you want to switch lanes and it's like they know before you do when you want to do it, and wave you in. That's great! Miami is so OPPOSITE of that!

I miss you all...so I'm glad you're here, and that blog book is a cool idea. It's not even that pricey! Maybe one day when I have something worthwhile to say, I'll do it. ;)

KaryBerry said...

Thanks for including me with your blog address, so fun to hear what you are doing! My family does one called honeyandpapa.com if you are interested in what the rest of my family is up to!